July 25, 2010

Hakka Celebration

This week, I (Esther) was invited to attend an all day Hakka celebreation. Although I did not know what that would entail, I whipped out my camera, joined my friend, J, and her mother, P, and set out for an adventure! Before we arrived, my friends explained that the Hakka people are an Asian minority group that have lived on this island for generations. Best known for their colorful handicrafts, unique language, and delicious foods, I soon discovered that I had a lot to learn about these beautiful people! While we were waiting to pick up our tickets, lion dancers paraded down the street to announce the beginning of the day's festivities. Following behind them were several government officials who are running for office this year and a drama group that performed ancient folklore skits. Another exciting event of the day was making traditional, blue tye-dyed handkerchiefs. Even though I ended up with a blue, tye-dyed thumb, I was fascinated by watching the professionals create intricate designs of cranes and flowers on their cloths.Of course, what is a celebration without food? The picture above shows all the tools necessary for the Hakka men to make the well loved dessert, Mo Chi. The dough for the sticky rice cakes must be pounded with the large wooden hammers to crate the perfect consistency. Then peanuts, strawberries, or other toppings can be added to make a tasty treat!Here is my friend, J, eating some wonderful peanut Mo Chi. Yum! There were even booths with games and prizes for anyone who wanted to practice speaking Hakka. I think I pronounced my words incorrectly, but all of the Asian people were quite interested in hearing the white girl try to speak.
All in all, the Hakka celebration was fantastic! I loved learning more about this remarkable culture. As I heard their stories, I thanked the Creator for making such a unique people group. I just hope that the Hakka people will also come to know how much He loves them!

No comments: